I've been really into all things local, since I've dropped my anchor here in Coastal Maine. I feel fortunate to be here during such a fertile season -- I really don't know if I could hack it in winter. One local delicacy, the fiddlehead fern, is prized for its unique taste and oh-so-brief spring appearance. Asparagus is the only vegetable to which it can be compared taste-wise, but even that is a bit of a stretch. Unfurled fronds of ostrich and cinnamon bark ferns, fiddleheads must be boiled (at least 8-10 minutes) prior to eating to remove the toxins found naturally in the plant.
They're crunchy, somewhat bitter yet super tasty. It's quite simple to saute the little snail-like guys with olive oil, garlic. I prepared them last week with asparagus, as the tastes compliment one another and served over whole wheat fettucine and squeezed lemon juice over the pasta.
PS -- I'm trying to improve my food photography skillz...



No comments:
Post a Comment