20 June 2008

Finds Aplenty

When I decided to spend the summer in Maine, sure I was excited about the hiking and the lobster and all, but I was way excited for cheap vintage finds. In July 2006, having just returned from the World Cup and not ready to call it quits on vacation, Matt and I made a beeline for Canada. We lingered in Montreal and Quebec City, luxuriating in the humidity-free environs. On our way back home, we traveled through Maine, stopping in Bangor. We were actually trying to find Stephen King's house, when we found the mecca that is the Bangor Goodwill. We ended up spending $23 between us in the 18 minutes prior to their closing, but the finds were gems. The place was super clean, super organized, and way cheap. When I'm digging through clothing racks at the overcrowded Beacon's Closet my mind usually wanders back to Bangor.

The good state hasn't proven me wrong. It turns out that there are more and bigger Goodwill Stores, and some even have well-edited "vintage" sections (all items priced at $3.99). One Sunday, I went antiquing--as they say up here--and ended up with a pretty awesome array of hard-to-find vintage house wares (I have a bit of a Pyrex fetish).

I'd been bummed that this random little thrift store on Main Street always seemed to be closed even when its "Hours" sign stated it should be open. I inquired with my teenage friends at the nearby Dairy Port who just shook their heads and shrugged their shoulders. Then, last week, as I was checking out the daily soft-serve flavors at the Dairy Port, one of the girls excitedly yells out to me: "It's open! Talk 'n Shop is open!" And, sure enough it was. I entered and proceeded to FILL A BAG FOR A DOLLAR. Yeah, yeah, I know there are places like this...I've heard of them. But, I'd never experienced it. My bag contained 5 t-shirts, a navy windbreaker, a dress shirt for Matt (he wore it to our friend's wedding that weekend), and this c. 1972 faux-wooden bird wall hanging. For a dollar.



It's now become my favorite lunch-time activity. When I get tired of work, tired of the people, or my co-worker's stench becomes too overpowering to overcome (she's a back-to-the-lander who seemingly shuns even hippie deodorant), I head to Talk 'n Shop. The only consistent thing about it the adventure is that I'll spend a dollar.

No comments: