I nearly forgot! Recently, I also whipped up some pancakes, using picked-with-my-very-own-hands wild blueberries. I usually love a light, buttermilk pancake, but prefer to integrate a portion of whole wheat flour. I feel this recipe does a good job of keeping the 'cakes light yet giving them a little more substance.(adapted the Tassajara buttermilk pancake recipe)
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white or pastry flour
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking powder
1 c. buttermilk (or 1 c. milk + 1 T lemon
1 egg
3 T. butter
berries
mix all the dry guys. then add wet. heat butter over low-medium heat. use ladle to form pancakes. keep them separated: add berries once the batter has been added to the pan & not before, so as to protect the lil' berries from too much heat and keep the operation neater. makes about 20-24.
Notes: They were definitely tasty. I always forget, though, that when a recipe calls for melted butter, one must wait for it to cool -- adding it too warm/hot will actually start to cook the egg. Be warned! Also, I didn't have any baking powder, so I just skipped it, which I think compromised the texture. Next time, I'd definitely separate the egg...adding the yolk to the dry mixture and then whipping the white until peaks form and then, gently, adding the egg white to the mixture. A dash of vanilla is nice, too. Yum!



No comments:
Post a Comment