18 July 2008

Improv Eats

My kitchen is tiny, but I am making the most of what I have. Focusing on super fresh produce and whole grains, I'm not only eating healthfully, but also rather inexpensively. I'm usually married to recipes, but I've been trying my hand at a more spontaneous, improv-style preparation, tasting as I go. Following my hankerings and using what I have on hand has been fun. Here are some of my creations from the last week...

Roasted Beets, Quinoa and Walnut Salad
Inspired by an Amy's Breads salad, I love tossing this together whenever I get my hands on beets. If you haven't tried the mineral-rich seed called quinoa (it's really not a grain), then you're missing out. Preparing quinoa is so, so simple and does not require the lengthy cook times, like rice or barley. My tip is to boil 2 parts vegetable broth with one part quinoa, which really seems to add some depth to it. Cook until liquid has been totally absorbed on the little quinoa guys appear to have a ring around them. Allow the quinoa to cool. Ensure to wash your beets thoroughly (remove beet greens for some future sauteeing), drizzle olive oil over them and roast for 35-45 minutes at 400 degrees. (roasting time varies depending on the size of the beet). Next, just toast some walnuts. (Watch them so they sure they don't burn.) In addition, you can incorporate whatever else tickles your fancy. This week, I added chickpeas and red pepper, as it's what I had on hand. Toss all ingredients together with a simple citrus vinaigrette and place over arugula or mixed greens. So good and super filling!

(below: fair trade quinoa producers in Ecuador )

Salmon with Roasted Fennel

I was really in the mood for salmon and was happy to find some wild Atlantic locally. For this dish, I didn't really follow a recipe, but rather took into consideration a few (like Barefoot Contessa and Jamie Oliver) ideas and kinda improvised. You really can't go wrong with: salmon + fennel + citrus (orange preferably, but lemon works well too). This time, I sliced up one fennel bulb, flat leaf parsley and the fennel sprigs. Placing the salmon in a baking dish, I surrounded the fish with my fennel mixtures. Be sure to add salt and pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and place thinly sliced citrus on top. Roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.

I just actually turned down a free work lunch, as I would prefer to eat my salmon leftovers than have a blah sandwich and make awkward conversation with work people and consultants!

No comments: